Bawdsey Radar Transmitter BlockBack Ferry Road, Bawdsey, Suffolk, IP12 3AT
The Transmitter Block on the Bawdsey Manor Estate is part of the world’s first operational RADAR station. Today it is open to visitors and houses an exhibition explaining the story of RADAR.
- Year of construction
On 24th September 1937 RAF Bawdsey became the first fully operational Radar station in the world. This was only just over eighteen months after the first experiment, conducted by Robert Watson Watt and Arnold Wilkins, established that by using transmitted radio waves it was possible to detect an approaching aircraft. Bawdsey continued in the development of Radar until the outbreak of the Second World War, on 3rd September 1939, when the scientific team was moved from this vulnerable east coast site to Dundee. RAF Bawdsey remained an important Radar station and later a Bloodhound Surface to Air Missile (SAM) site until 31st March 1991, when it was officially closed.
Further details can be found at http://www.bawdseyradar.org.uk.