PILLBOX, THETFORDBack Mill Lane, Thetford, Norfolk
Type 22 Pillbox, once forming part of a stop line and retaining its original camouflage scheme, now forming part of a private garden.
- Year of construction
- Protected status
This pillbox once formed part of the Eastern Command line, a major Stop Line that ran right across East Anglia. The line originated at Colchester in Essex and entered Suffolk at Bures and ran north through the east of the county passing Sudbury, Lavenham, Bury St Edmunds and Mildenhall before heading further west and joining the river Great Ouse.
Due to post-war patterns of removal, in places it is obvious that a Stop Line existed, while in others, it is almost impossible. Thetford is an example of the latter, as most of its wartime defences have been removed.
The pillbox itself is a Type 22 - a regular hexagon with the entrance on the rear side. This pillbox was built in the summer of 1940 when the invasion crisis was at its height and when hundreds of men were working on the fortification of the line. Considerable efforts were made to camouflage pillboxes and this example was faced in the local flint so that it would blend in with its adjacent wall.