Airfield Site and MuseumBack Hardwick Airfield, Norfolk
A small museum now occupies the site of the American Eighth Air Force Station 104.
- Year of construction
- Protected status
In common with many of the airfields used by the American Eighth Air Force, Hardwick airfield was originally planned for RAF use and what was then a standard bomber airfield was constructed, although its use by the Americans necessitated some further expansion.
The chief residents of the airfield were the 93rd Bomb Group from the 2nd Air Division operating B-24 Liberator, but in what was a slightly unusually situation for a USAAF Bomb Group, the 93rd also operated from other airfields. By the end of the war, the 93rd had carried out some 396 missions, losing over 100 aircraft.
The 93rd flew more missions than any other Group in the Eighth Air Force and also had the first aircraft to complete fifty missions: this was ‘Boomerang’, which was in fact so badly damaged during one raid that it was nearly scrapped. Although the airfield’s operational history came to an end in 1945 it was not finally sold off until the 1960s.
One part of the former airfield is now the site of a volunteer-run museum and vintage aircraft still fly from a small grassy airstrip. There is also a memorial to the 93rd Group next to a group of restored airfield buildings. For opening times and events see: http://www.hardwickwarbirds.com/index.html