Fort NapoleonBack Vuurtorenwag, Oostende
The fort built by order of Napoleon (1810) was used in both world wars as barracks for soldiers, ammunition storage and fortifications. During World War II Fort Napoleon formed part of the Atlantic Wall, but it did not otherwise play an active role during this war. For a long time the fort saw service as a folklore museum and later as a children’s playground, after which it fell into disrepair. Flanders Heritage restored the fort over a period of five years and opened it to the public in 2000. The museum recounts the history of the fort.
- Année de construction