Plaque on the front wall of town house Dam 6, commemorating the German surrender on this location on 6 November 1944.
- Année de construction
Town houses Dam 6 and 8 housed the German headquarters. British major Johnson negotiated the surrender of the town inside with the uncompromising German general Daser. The plaque commemorates the German surrender on 6 November 1944 after their defeat at the battle of the Sloedam (battle of Walcheren Causeway).
Text on the plaque (in Dutch):
“Hier vond op 6 november 1944 de overgave plaats van de Duitse bezetters aan onze geallieerde Vrienden”.
Text on the plaque (translated into English):
On 6 November 1944 the German occupier surrendered to our friendly allies on this location. 1944 1994