Nr. 4 Commando Memorial/OranjemolenBack Commandoweg, 4381 BH Vlissingen
Bronze sculpture representing a commando soldier of No 4 command. The sculpture is a memorial place for the liberation of Walcheren, placed nearby the location where the 4th commando and the 52 Lowland Division landed in 1944 to liberate the island of Walcheren.
- Année de construction
- Architecte / Design
- Titus Leeser
The Nr. 4 Commando Memorial commemorates the landing of English, Dutch and French commandos in Vlissingen (Flushing) on 1 November 1944.
The initiative to place the memorial was taken by British commando veterans. The memorial was officially revealed by Cornelis Staf, Minister of War, on 31 May 1952.
On the front on the pedestal the following text is written: Nr. 4 Commando.
On both long sides of the pedestal plaques are affixed with French, Dutch and English text.
On the plaque on the left side the English text: In memory of all ranks of Nr. 4 commando who fell during the war 1939-1945 and to the local citizens of Flushing who were killed during the occupation and at the hour of their liberation
On the plaque on the right side the French and Dutch text: A la memoire des officiers, sous-officiers et soldats du 4me commando et des loyaux citoyens de Flessengue 1939-1945
Aan de nagedachtenis van
de gevallenen van het 4de commando en
van de trouwe burgers van Vlissingen
Around the Oranjemolen the municipality of Vlissingen has realized a World War II memorial site. At this site information will be provided about Vlissingen and the Walcheren region during World War II, the Battle of the Scheldt and the consequences of World War II for the civilian population. Due to these plans the Nr. 4 commando memorial most likely will be relocated to the new memorial site.