Heavy Anti-aircraft gun battery "TN13 Bucklands", Bowaters Farm, ThurrockBack Heavy Anti-aircraft gun battery "TN13 Bucklands", Bowaters Farm, Thurrock
The site included 8 concrete emplacements in 2 groups, with their connecting roads and vehicle parks, magazine, and command post.
- Année de construction
- Statut protégé
- Scheduled Monument
The monument includes eight concrete gun emplacements with their connecting roads and vehicle parks, magazine and command post. The battery forms two groups of anti-aircraft artillery. The earlier group comprises four octagonal emplacements of concrete covered by asphalt, which measure some 16m across. Two entrances are located on opposite sides of the emplacements and earthen banks protect their outer sides. Inside the emplacements, the ten bolts which fixed the guns to the ground survive, as do the ammunition lockers against the walls. Between the middle two emplacements is a rectangular magazine building some 12m long with five compartments for shells with different fuses. At the rear of the group is a larger building which formed a command post and which included height and range-finding equipment, although this no longer survives. This group housed 4.5 inch (115 mm) guns from mid-1940 to 1944.
To the east is a second group of four emplacements, these examples comprising a deep circular pit lined with concrete, again measuring some 16m across, with an adjoining sunken engine room to the west or south-west. A gun turret, which no longer survives, capped the circular pit, and housed a 5.25 inch (133 mm) gun. This group superseded the 4.5 inch guns in 1944 and continued in use until after the war.
The HAA Battery at Bowaters Farm exhibits through its surviving remains the development of an anti aircraft battery from the early months of the Second World War until the stand down of anti-aircraft artillery in 1955. The example at Bowaters Farm is the last surviving example of such batteries in this area of Essex. It forms the latest part of a series of important defensive installations at Coalhouse Point which illustrate the development of coastal defences from the Tudor period to the mid-20th century.