Emergency Coastal Defence BatteryBack On cliffs off Blacksmith’s Lane, Happisburgh, Norfolk
Remains of Emergency Coastal Defence Battery and associated defences.
- Année de construction
- Statut protégé
Happisburgh was the site of an Emergency Coastal Defence Battery that was established in 1940 for two 4.7inch ex Naval Guns manned by 353 Coast Battery, Royal Artillery. This replaced an earlier battery for 6-inch guns at Happisburgh village. An anti-aircraft battery and a temporary radar station were also established here, but all traces of these have been removed.
The battery buildings are moderately well-preserved, but are under major threat from coastal erosion. The two gun houses, together with their underground magazines survive as do some of the surrounding pillboxes and spigot mortar pedestals.