Polish Cross Axel

Back Hulsterseweg, 4571 RH Axel

A metal memorial in the form of a cross, with a plaque attached at the base of the pedestal. Brick stone fence with two plaques attached to the front wall.

In an attempt to get hold of the Axel-Hulst Canal, 25 Polish soldiers of the 10th. Polish Dragoon Regiment and a Belgian interpreter fell in the battle with the German troops.

In memory of these soldiers this memorial was erected one year after the liberation of Axel in 1944. The memorial was unveiled by Polish ex-combatants on 19 September 1945. The brick stone fence was put up in 1946 and restored in 2009, the two plaques were attached to it in 1996. The metal cross was replaced by a copy in 1954 as the old cross became corroded. 

A large-scale plaque is attached to the cross

A large-scale plaque is attached to the cross

The memorial right next to the Hulsterseweg

The memorial right next to the Hulsterseweg

Turn on JavaScript to display the map

Show slideshow