Nr. 4 Commando Memorial/Oranjemolen

Back Commandoweg, 4381 BH Vlissingen

Bronze sculpture representing a commando soldier of No 4 command. The sculpture is a memorial place for the liberation of Walcheren, placed nearby the location where the 4th commando and the 52 Lowland Division landed in 1944 to liberate the island of Walcheren.

The Nr. 4 Commando Memorial commemorates the landing of English, Dutch and French commandos in Vlissingen (Flushing) on 1 November 1944.

The initiative to place the memorial was taken by British commando veterans. The memorial was officially revealed by Cornelis Staf, Minister of War, on 31 May 1952.

On the front on the pedestal the following text is written:
Nr. 4 Commando.

On both long sides of the pedestal plaques are affixed with French,
Dutch and English text.

On the plaque on the left side the English text:
In memory of all ranks of Nr. 4 commando
who fell during the war 1939-1945 and to
the local citizens of Flushing who were
killed during the occupation and at the
hour of their liberation


On the plaque on the right side the French and Dutch text:
A la memoire des officiers, sous-officiers et soldats
du 4me commando et des loyaux citoyens de Flessengue
1939-1945

Aan de nagedachtenis van

de gevallenen van het 4de commando en

van de trouwe burgers van Vlissingen 

Around the Oranjemolen the municipality of Vlissingen has realized a World War II memorial site. At this site information will be provided about Vlissingen and the Walcheren region during World War II, the Battle of the Scheldt and the consequences of World War II for the civilian population. Due to these plans the Nr. 4 commando memorial most likely will be relocated to the new memorial site.

www.muzeeum.nl

Commando soldier

Commando soldier

The French and Dutch text written on the plaque  on the pedestal of the memorial

The French and Dutch text written on the plaque on the pedestal of the memorial

Turn on JavaScript to display the map

Show slideshow