Inundation Memorial Flushing

Back Nolledijk, Vlissingen

Abstract bronze sculpture consisting of two parts, placed on a stone foundation

In 1990 the 'Stichting Monumenten Walcheren 40-45' commissioned the building of five buildings on the island of Walcheren. Memorials Were Placed at the four locations of the dyke breakthrough, in Westkapelle, Veere and Vlissingen Ritthem. The fifth was Placed in Middelburg memorial to commemorate the bombing of the city on May 17th 1940.

The monument in Vlissingen was designed by Mari Boeyen. The monument was removed due to the consolidation works on the Nolledijk in 2010 goal is now back at the old site on the dyke to commemorate the bombing of the Nolledijk in Vlissingen on October 7th 1944. Near the memorial, there is an inscription with the Following text:

By the allied bombing of the Nolledijk on October 7, 1944

Walcheren was inundated and was later liberated 
 memorial produced by Mari Boeyen at the initiative of the foundation Memorials Walcheren 40-45 
 unveiled by Mr. W. Aarnoutse on October 4, 1990

The inscription nearby the monument

The inscription nearby the monument

Nearby creek at Nollebos, a remain of  the inundation of Walcheren

Nearby creek at Nollebos, a remain of the inundation of Walcheren

Turn on JavaScript to display the map

Show slideshow