Landguard Fort

Back Manor Terrace, Felixstowe, Suffolk, IP11 3TW

Landguard Fort is the site of the last opposed seaborne invasion of England in 1667 and the first land battle of the Royal Marines. The current fort was built in the 18th century, and modified in the 19th century with substantial additional 19th-20th century outside batteries.

Landguard Fort is the site of the last opposed seaborne invasion of England in 1667 and the first land battle of the Royal Marines. The current fort was built in the 18th century, and modified in the 19th century with substantial additional 19th-20th century outside batteries.

The 10inch gun pit in Left Battery was converted into an Anti-aircraft Operations Room for Harwich in 1939. During the Second World War, it was used as one of the balloon launch sites of Operation Outward. This was a project to attack Germany by means of free-flying hydrogen balloons that carried incendiary devices or trailing steel wires (intended to damage power lines.) Between 1942 and 1944, many thousands of balloons were launched.

The site was restored in the late 1990s and in now in the care of English Heritage. Further details can be found here: http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/daysout/properties/landguard-fort.

Turn on JavaScript to display the map

Show slideshow