HUNSTANTON PILLBOX AND OBSERVATION POST

Back Lighthouse Close, Hunstanton, Norfolk

Observation Post and Pillbox for Emergency Coastal Defence Battery.

Hunstanton was the site of an Emergency Coastal Defence battery, which was established in 1940 and in operation by early June – one of the first in the country. The existing coastguard tower was re-used as the battery’s observation post and was connected to underground chambers by a tunnel. Next to the tower is a square brick and concrete pillbox that is built to a Royal Navy design, which is unusual for Norfolk.

Turn on JavaScript to display the map

Show slideshow