Blockhaus of Eperlecques

Back Rue du Sart, 62910 Éperlecques

Former V2 missiles launching base, to aim for London and Southern England. Now a museum about German balistic weapons during WW2

This bunker going by the code name  Kraftwerk Nord West, was meant to be a launch pad for V2 missiles heading for London and the south of England

It was never completed, because of Operation Crossbow, and the heavy aerial bombings it sustained. It was never used as originally planned.

On 27 August 1943, American troops bombed it heavily, putting most of the structure out of use. It was then turned into a factory for liquid oxygen production, for V2 missiles, in operation for several months.

It was irreparably damaged after further bombing in July 1944, including a Tallboy bomb on 6 July, at which point it was abandoned. 

The Nazis decided to continue to use it as a decoy, and started unnecessary construction at this site. It was given the new code name "concrete heap".

The Allied Forces seized control of the site in early September 1944. However, it was not until the end of the war that the primary role of this building was fully understood. 

The blockhaus has been listed as a  historic French monument since 1986. In 2012, it was turned into a museum presenting the site and the German ballistics programme.

V1 launching ramp in Eperlecques. Creative Commons Licence. By Alain.Darles

V1 launching ramp in Eperlecques. Creative Commons Licence. By Alain.Darles

Bunker in Eperlecques (1944) - Public Domain

Bunker in Eperlecques (1944) - Public Domain

Turn on JavaScript to display the map

Show slideshow